Victorian dollhouse from Disney/Pixar movie Up
I didn’t update this site for a long time. I’ve been very busy on a new project. This is a bigger version of Carl’s house from brilliant Disney/Pixar animation “Up”. I built this model in scale 1:48 ( 1/4 inch ). Most common scale for victorian dollhouse would be 1:12, but 1:48 is getting popular, it allows for lots of detail and the model takes less room. The floor plan is 180mm by 180mm wide and it stands 210mm heigh to top of the chimney.
I had already prepared CAD drawings for my previous project in scale 1:160. Bigger model gave me the opportunity to create more realistic and detailed windows, so I had to enlarge and modify my drawings in free CAD software to suit new scale. I was also able to sculpt railing to the porch and create interiors. Living room can be accessed by openable side wall. It allows to fully appreciate Carl’s furnished living room with his fireplace and have a view to the staircase with his collection of photographs on the wall. There is an option to look into the hallway through front door and window. In the movie there was some difference in size between interiors and exterior of the house. I couldn’t fit kitchen at the end of corridor, but I indicated it with closed door and created little green room under the stairs which can be viewed through rear window. A great help with that were sketches and pictures found on donshank.com blog, one of original designers for the movie.
Like previously I started fabricating it with laser cut rigid 1.5mm plywood as my main construction with another 0.8mm layer containing some of the window details. I was able to see fast progress at this stage. It all slowed later when I had to trim with the knife panels for elevations, and stick them one by one. Repeat this process with shingles for the roof. The tricky part with them was warping after I put glue on it. Its because wood grain goes in shorter direction, the stripe with shingles absorbs moisture and bends before glue sets. I had to lay two stripes and clamp it for 15 minutes until glue dryes. When all parts were in place, I spraypainted them with base colours using sprays . I didn’t have exact colours in cans so I refined them with selection of acrylic paints from valleyo and games workshop to get the right tint. I used various techniques like drybrushing and washes, I also painted wood grains with very fine brush in some places. It took me more time than I expected, but I was pleased with the effect. After that I sprayed everything with two protective coats of matt varnish and then added transparent windows at the end. I didn’t forget about tiny mailbox this time
Carl’s house is now ready, and waiting for some more furnitures in the living room. I enjoyed building it and I hope you will like it. Check out this short video below showing finished model from all sides.
Many people ask me if it is for sale. It is not. I only made one model like this and not planning to make any more. It was great experience but dont want to repeat it, there is much more projects on my list of things to make. If you want to make your own model of Carls house, here is simple version of paper house and here you can buy the tiny and simple kit what looks like this when finished. It is much less detailed than mine, but it can be fun project to make by yourself.